car accident people talkin

I was in a car accident should I go through my insurance carrier or the person who hit me?

If the car crash is not your fault, it is typically best to go through the insurance carrier of the person who caused the accident.  The other insurance carrier will be the one to ultimately pay out the expenses of property damage, rental, and/or towing.  If you do not have rental and/or towing coverage on your policy, your insurance carrier may not cover these expenses even if you are entitled to them.  Your insurance carrier may pay you for property damage, rental, and/or towing but will subrogate (collecting the money) against the other insurance carrier.

You must go through your insurance carrier if the car accident is your fault.  If you have a collision on your vehicle, you may be responsible for a deductible, which will be subtracted from the money you receive.  Look to your insurance policy declaration page to see what coverage you purchased.  Check for rental and towing coverage.  Just because you have rental and towing coverage does not necessarily mean all of your out pocket expenses will be reimbursed, limits may apply depending on your policy.

Car accidents are scary, better call Kerry!
Our office is here to help and guide you through the process.  Call us today to get a free consultation with Attorney Socha.